Thursday, November 7, 2013

"Wrong Roads"

I would like to share this testimony with you guys, as it is one I feel prompted to share.

Today I was watching the Mormon message “Wrong Roads.” (http://www.lds.org/pages/mormon-messages) On the way back home, Elder Holland and his son were uncertain of which road to take, so they both prayed and asked the Lord which road they should take. They both felt very strongly that they should go to the right, so they did. About 400 yards down the road, they reached a dead end and knew with absolute certainty that it was the wrong road. So they turned back around and took the other road.
The boy later asked why they had been told to take the wrong road after praying about it. Elder Holland replied that he believed it was the Lord’s will to get them on the correct road with some understanding and some reassurance that they were on the correct road and that they didn’t have to worry about it. In this case, Elder Holland said, that it was easier for them to go 400 or 500 yards down the wrong road and know with an absolute certainty that was the wrong road and to have that same certainty that the other road was the right one.
I feel that this same sort of thing happened to me. While I wasn’t lost physically, I believe I can safely say I was lost spiritually. I suppose I felt I knew what was best for me, without consulting the Lord first. This became a great mistake because I was relying far too much on my friends and myself for help, rather than seeking the Lord for help and guidance when I needed it. I stopped searching the scriptures and saying my prayers. At first, I couldn’t really feel a difference. The less I prayed and the less I read, the easier things seemed to get. And that was great, for a little bit. But then all that reassurance and all that help felt like it was gone. I couldn’t even feel the love that anyone said they have for me. I could see or hear their words, but I couldn’t feel it and that was pretty scary. Part of it I know was my own doing. But I also think part of it was the Lord’s doing. He allowed me to me what would happen in my life if I continued down the path I was on.
This experience relates to the video in that the Lord allowed me to wander down the wrong path for a little while before helping me to figure out that I was on the wrong path. Now I know with absolute certainty that I need to rely on and look to my Heavenly Father for help rather than asking friends for help first.
I know that as we seek our Heavenly Father’s help, He will help us. He will also not allow us to wander too far from the straight and narrow path without a warning. He loves us and He is always there for us.
I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment